We have 1 mealworm wormery in operation at the moment. We started with 5 kg of mealworms, though we have fed many to the chickens. We are on our first generation but have reached pupa/beetle stage, so the next generation of worms will arrive soon.
We have experimented with using styrofoam and egg cartons as a medium for them to climb on/eat (along with the standard wheatmeal base). So far the mealworms appear healthy, as expected. This allows us to compost/recycle a waste packaging product that normally clutters up the place. We do many deliveries online which generates a lot of packing materials to dispose of. So this is a nice solution to that problem.
We intend to expand how many wormeries we have once we have re-housed some of our chickens. This is so we can re-purpose a set of bantum coops we had built, our first real wood working project, into a rack system for the wormeries.