This was an experiment to see if we could convert an empty pallet cage into a coop. We kept a small clutch of chicks in there over the summer until they were big enough to roam, and we also moved our quail into it for the end of season to give them more space. Unfortunately due to the door swelling up when the weather turned bad it stopped closing properly and a rat was able to get in and killed our quail. So we are going to improve it before putting it back in service.
This was a protype coop design that Ted put together. It was originally designed for 2-3 bantams but in the end we decided to make it a coop for 3 quails. It was ideal for them as it is based on the ground. Since it is empty right now we open it up every now and then for the chickens to use as shelter or to prune back the growing wheat grass.
This pair of coops were the first wood working project we undertook at our workshop. They were designed originally to house chicks. However once they out grew them, and we temporarily stopped hatching chicks, the doors were removed and they were converted into nest box and wormery units in our shed. Once all our hybrids are re-housed they will be used exclusively for our wormery.
This is the coop that started it all. We brought this coop to house our second flock of chickens; after a fox attack claimed the majority of our first flock. The coop arrived in two large parts and to get it into the back garden we had to take it apart and put it back together again. During this process Ted gained the confidence to consider building his own coops. This kick started our Wood Workshop and the Poultry Conservancy!